Boggo Road Gaol (Jail) opened in 1883 and was home to notorious escapologist "Slim" Halliday and Whiskey Au Go Go bombers James Finch and John Stuart. Dramatic escapes, riots, hunger-strikes and roof-top protests led to the prison's official closure in 1992. The remaining section - heritage listed No. 2 Division - was decommissioned in 1989. It's walls are covered in authentic graffiti - including strong imagery and language - left by frustrated prisoners in the turbulent 1980s.